Friday, September 29, 2017

September 29. A Day Worth Celebrating.


As a young college student, the way I imagined success to arrive in my 30s was to be measured by my career, house, children, and accomplishments. And now as I turn 34, I realize my "arrival" is not quantified but rather, qualified. My life is made richer and fuller by the relationships I have, beyond what my 20 year old brain could have even begun to ask for.

Much of this has happened to me, so I can't boast about what I've done to bring myself here. And while relationships can't be neatly measured, I do have dates I can pinpoint as the beginning of many life-defining experiences:

October 16, 2009
I began employment at World Relief in High Point, NC as the Match Grant Coordinator. This experience has forever changed my life's trajectory, passion, and purpose, and opened the door to a world of new people to love and connect with.  

March 22, 2013
Shivani Shrivastav came to our house for a temporary place to stay. 4.5 years later, we have gained a sister, a "Shi-Shi", and a lifelong friend.

December 3, 2013
Brian and I went out with our friends, Evan & Heather Blackerby, to discuss what it would look like to be in an intentional community together. After dinner, we drove around High Point praying about where God might be leading us to live. Four years later, we have homes and amazing neighbors in the same area we had originally driven and prayed through.

May 31, 2017
The beginning of a new season. Staying at home with my girls, ages 5 & 3, are a part of this season; my relationship with God is at the center of it. Putting all of the faith and trust I have on the line, I'm already coming to a deeper understanding of God than I've ever had before.

Daily, I struggle with the need to be in control. In control of my home, my kids, my life. But in this, I give a big sigh of relief, and a oh-so-genuine "thank you, God" that He took the plans I had made for myself 15 years ago, scrapped them, and gave me this simple, lovely life I lead.

Happy birthday to me, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment